Browse projects by type
- Bandstands & Canopies
- Cast Iron
- Finials and features
- Listed Structures
- Memorials & monuments
- Rainwater Goods
- Roof lights
- Wrought Iron
- Pavement Lights
Grade 2* listed Greenbank House was originally the residence of the Rathbone family. Its unique architecture has evolved with many additions to the original farmhouse William Rathbone IV bought in 1809. These additions include the cast iron veranda which is believed to be attributed to the Coalbrookdale Works as Hannah Rathbone’s Father, Abraham Darby was one of the founding directors.
The house was an English Heritage Blue Plaque in 29 July 2001 honouring Eleanor Rathbone (1872–1946) and her Father, the social reformer, William Rathbone VI (1819–1902).
The property was presented to Liverpool University in 1936, but had sadly been neglected over the years falling into a state of disrepair. The recent University Greenbank Halls project created new build student accommodation within the grounds of the house and the development has provided the opportunity and funding to restore the house giving this characterful listed building a new lease of life.
A scaffold was erected around the veranda and then all the parts were carefully recorded by note and photograph before being carefully dismantled piece by piece. A detailed condition report was then undertaken of all the veranda components prior to and following blast cleaning. Our post cleaning report provided a full list of repairs that considered necessary to conserve, as much as possible, the original salvaged ironwork. These repairs were then discussed and approved with the structural engineer.
Specialised repairs, comprising of new castings and new sections of castings were made using new moulds and patternwork and replacement iron was grafted into the original castings where possible. Sections of the structure were trial assembled in our workshop to test the fixing methods and help determine our method of installation before we applied a full marine grade paint system.
Calibre took charge of replacing all the roof timbers and provided a new lead roof covering to closely match the remains of the original found under the failed bitumen roof. Each finial to the upper frieze was lead covered individually and reinstated.
The restored veranda was erected by our own experienced installers with specialist sub-contract scaffolders and leadworkers.
- Main Contractor: ULCCO