Browse projects by type
- Bandstands & Canopies
- Cast Iron
- Finials and features
- Listed Structures
- Memorials & monuments
- Rainwater Goods
- Roof lights
- Wrought Iron
- Pavement Lights
Ralph Ward Jackson 1806 - 1880 was an American politician and the founder of West Hartlepool. He was elected at the 1868 general election as the first the Member of Parliament for The Hartlepools, but was defeated at the 1874 general election. Christ Church at the top of Church Street, situated behind the statue was paid for by public subscription and generous donations by Ralph Ward Jackson and the West Hartlepool Dock and Railway Company.
His statue, now listed grade 2, was designed by Edward Onslow Ford, erected in 1897 and can be found on a traffic island on Church Street. We were asked to clean the verdi gris corrosion from this bronze, leaving an even dark bronze finish and to protect the statue with renaissance waxes for the future.
Sir William Grays’ seated bronze statue was erected in 1898 by public subscription. From a modest background William managed to head a large shipbuilding company, designing and making ships in the area. He was the first Mayor of West Hartlepool from 1887-1888 and is the only person to have been Mayor to both Hartlepool towns.
It has been said that although Ralph Ward Jackson founded the town of West Hartlepool, it was William Gray who made it. We were asked to clean only the guano and detritus from the statue and specifically asked to retain the verdi gris finish throughout. The statue was then sealed with renaissance waxes.
- Employer: Hartlepool Borough Council
- Architect: Guy Rawlinson Hartlepool BC
- Main Contractor: Calibre Metalwork Ltd.