Browse projects by type

Holyhead Market Hall

Dating back to 1855 and designed by local builder J Edwards Thomas, The Market Hall is a prominent building located on a hill in the centre of Holyhead. For many years the building has been unused and semi-derelict.

This substantial public building is set back and above the street behind single-storey shops; side and rear elevations to Summer Hill and Trearddur Square. Constructed of local green shaley rubble with buff sandstone dressings and slate roofs. An impressive frontage, distinctive for its mullion and transom windows and shaped gables with a taller central bay with clock and rich detailing.

Tripartite main entrance below with chamfered semicircular arches, keystones and imposts together with original (dated 1855) cast iron gates manufactured by Ellis Williams Black Bridge Foundry of Holyhead.

Poor attention to paintwork maintenance along with the marine environment lead to severe corrosion.

Poor attention to paintwork maintenance along with the marine environment lead to severe corrosion.

Salt water atmosphere ravages unprotected ironwork quickly in a marine environment.

Salt water atmosphere ravages unprotected ironwork quickly in a marine environment.

We blast cleaned all components to SA2.5 then followed a regime of steam cleaning and jet washing with clean water, testing for salt residue after each application. All components were salt tested and re-cleaned until the readings stabilised and no further salts could be removed. Once dry they were zinc flame sprayed to provide future protection.

We blast cleaned all components to SA2.5 then followed a regime of steam cleaning and jet washing with clean water, testing for salt residue after each application. All components were salt tested and re-cleaned until the readings stabilised and no further salts could be removed. Once dry they were zinc flame sprayed to provide future protection.

We restored one of the original locking mechanisms and provided a new replica key. The other gate locks were replaced with modern locks carefully fitted within the original lock boxes.

We restored one of the original locking mechanisms and provided a new replica key. The other gate locks were replaced with modern locks carefully fitted within the original lock boxes.

An original gate was used as reference for our patternmaker to enable us to manufacture new carved patternwork to enable us to cast replica sections to replace irrepairable or missing sections of the gates.

An original gate was used as reference for our patternmaker to enable us to manufacture new carved patternwork to enable us to cast replica sections to replace irrepairable or missing sections of the gates.

It was important to replicate the original foundry mark into the new cast iron gate.

It was important to replicate the original foundry mark into the new cast iron gate.

We cast a new gate to replicate the original.

We cast a new gate to replicate the original.

Restored gate set.

Restored gate set.

Restored gates.

Restored gates.

Gates and overthrows were returned and installed into  repaired stonework.

Gates and overthrows were returned and installed into repaired stonework.

Project Details