Browse projects by type
- Bandstands & Canopies
- Cast Iron
- Finials and features
- Listed Structures
- Memorials & monuments
- Rainwater Goods
- Roof lights
- Wrought Iron
Ogden's Imperial Tobacco Office Building, Clock Faces
Built in 1899, the former Ogden’s Imperial Tobacco office building is designated Grade II listed status. It is an impressive example of the late 19th century eclectic Queen Anne style, believed to have been designed by the company architect Henry Hartleyan. It has high-quality design and craftsmanship displayed both externally and internally. The decorative detailing successfully conveys the company’s original status as one of the largest tobacco manufacturers in the country. The façade includes an imposing clock tower with spire.
The Grade II Listed office building retains many of its historic features including outer and inner vestibules with mosaic tiles including the Ogden crest, an inlaid marble foundation stone, oak panelling and a Jacobean staircase, and carved timber fireplaces.
The factory at Boundary Lane was built in 1899 and all operations were concentrated at this site when it opened in 1901. It employed around 2500 Liverpudlians over the years and is a place with fond memories for many. It closed for the last time in March 2007.
We carefully recorded then removed the existing glass from each clock face. We then released the faces and lowered them to ground level and transported them back to our workshop where we removed all putty/mortars and dry blast cleaned all to SA 2.5. The delicate copper hands were chemically stripped and etch-primed before being finished with our own high-quality paint system.
We then returned to site with the restored clock faces and lifted them to the working area, securing them into their original repaired openings with new fixings before re-glazing in replica glass.
- Employer: Brock Carmichael Architects
- Main Contractor: Housing Maintenance Solutions